Tire pressure ranges
Definitely, the tire pressure is the most important criteria to choose the best pump for your bike. Every experienced owner of bike knows that any issue on the road makes the tire soft and thus vulnerable. Remember that every kind of bike – mountain, road or hybrid – has its own tire size that’s why inflation process is different on different levels. The narrowest tire is for the road bike, then it goes for the mountain and hybrid bike – so the pressure of air in it goes between 25 up to 130 psi. To calculate the ideal tire pressure you need to consider the tire size, your own weight and the changes in temperatures while you riding the bike. Here the best mini pump with gauge will be a great assistant. Bear in mind the recommendation of the manufacturer and starts with the medium at first. When the tire pressure is in perfect condition it helps to ride smoothly, fast and protects you from any holes and bumps. To keep the tire pressure in the necessary condition use the best hand bike pumps. They are frame-fit pumps, portable and mini pumps.
It’s not enough to know the basic information about the tire pressure and why it needs to be in good balance. One of the most important things is the valves which differ from each other according to their role. They are Schrader and Presta valve, Dunlop valve or Woods valve. Very popular are Schrader and Presta valves. Most of the floor pumps work perfectly for all kinds of valves but not the portable pumps. Let’s make clear how it works and why so many different valves.
- Schrader valve is the most popular for bikes and today the cheaper bikes have it. It has the widest stem among all kinds of valves. While the pin is not depressed the springs are open, therefore you can pump the tire. To find Schrader valve pump is easy at any gas stations this is a car type of valve also.
- Presta valve is modern kind of valve that is only 6 mm diameter and it’s used mostly for the road bikes as the tire size there is the narrowest. Some bike pumps, even best portable bike pumps may be useless when it’s about Presta valves and that’s why you need a Presta valve adapter which is easy to attach to inflate the tires. However, there are special Presta valve pumps that work perfectly for most road bike tires and some of the mountain bikes.
- Woods and Dunlop valves are shorter than Presta valves though has the same fitting. It may be difficult to inflate the tires with such types of valves. Again Presta valve adapter will help to solve the situation.
Best hand bike pumps 2017-2018
There are a huge number of pumps for different kinds of bikes: portable, fork, foot, manual marching, universal, stationary, and pneumatic, floor pumps. What to do if need to inflate the tire somewhere on the road or on the mountain trail?
One of the main benefits of the hand pumps is the speed they can inflate the tyres. Besides, their pressure ability is pretty high – up to 260 PSI. We have found different versions of the hand pumps with the best features for a cheap price.
Best frame bike pumps 2017-2018
|Brand||Type of Valve||PSI||Material||Weight||Price|
|Bog Products Mini Bicycle Pump||Schrader and Presta||116||aluminum||150g/4,6oz|
|LEOKOR Mini Portable Bicycle Frame Pump||Schrader and Presta||260||aluminum||160g/5,6oz|
|Bodyguard Mini Bike Pump||Schrader and Presta||260||aluminum||160g/5,6oz|
|DOKO-IN Mini Bike Pump With Gauge||Schrader and Presta||210||Aluminum||113g/3,9oz|
Pump pressure and how it depends on weight of the driver
The quality of riding on your bike depends on several factors. The main are the tire pump pressure and the weight of the driver. To get the correct inflation pressure pay attention to such things as the load exerted on the tire and the way of riding you do whether it’s in the mountains or on the roads. The load is a simple combination of the weights of the bike itself, the driver and the baggage you have.
However, the tire pressure is very individual measure as every driver chooses the best for his comfort and necessary quality. There is only one advice to keep in mind while adjusting the tire pressure: there is a direct dependence between the load and the tire size which means the big load demands high inflation. To calculate it just add one more percent to the tire pressure with each kilo of the general load. Here is a list of the best mini pump for road bike plus the best mini pump for a mountain bike.
Best portable bike pump 2017-2018
Operating mode or how to pump your tire with different valves
There are several ways to inflate the tire of the bike. It depends on the pump you use and the valves the tires have. Follow our instructions and pieces of advice:
- If you have a pump with two openings or two-way inflating function and your tires has Schrader valve then the biggest opening will work for it. The smaller one is for Presta valve. Old pumps may also require Presta valve adapter.
- If you use a pump with one opening then the perfect way to use it is to unscrew the cap of the valve, find the stop and attach the pump to the Schrader valve.
- In case if you have a clever pump then no need to guess which way to use as the pump will adjust to the valve automatically.
- Once the cap is unscrewed start to inflate the tire and when you are satisfied with the pressure do not forget to close the lever.
Pump Body material
As to already know about the types of pumps, the valves they fit too, the ways to inflate the tire it’s time to speak about the body material of the pumps. It depends on the types of the pump. For example, the best bike frame pumps are always durable, lightweight and compact. The materials are aluminum alloy or CNC machined aluminum and those which are easy to attach to the frame or bottle’s holder.
There is one rule when it’s about pump material: high quality means the pump is made of true metal. The cheapest pumps are plastic, not strong enough and flexible, so it will not be attached steadily to the bike.
The best pump equipment
Modern pumps are not only about simple inflating the tire. They have some special indexes and helpful equipment that make them really necessary in your workshop. The best pumps of 2017-2018 have the following additional components and attributes:
- Mounting to the frame;
- handle pumps;
- telescopic body;
- manometer for gauge pressure.