CO2 inflators – the most popular mini bike pump
Every cyclist should try CO2 inflators. They are the most comfortable hand pumps for all types of bikes. They are lightweight because of the material. Usually, it’s steel like in CPRO2 Trigger with a plastic tube or aluminum used for Lezyne Control Drive CO2 inflator. If you are new to this all and you have just bought a bike perhaps you feel lost trying to choose the right pump for yourself. Before making up your mind learn the information about each pump, its structure, and materials so using it will be most comfortable. Besides, you will easily find a place for such inflator in your seat bag or attach it to the frame.
CO2 inflators construction
No matter if you buy the best CO2 inflator or not, the principles of work are the same. Which we can not say about all mini bike pumps, their criteria are different.
- The inflator itself which is an aka nozzle with flow control and without. The best inflator has that flow control. But do not concentrate if you will not find it. You can control the flow by yourself just clasping and unclasping the cartridge. This process is not easy but possible.
- The cartridge – the same as a canister, has carbon dioxide gas that is compressed. Cartridges are made of different sizes starting from the tiny one of 12g and up to 25g. A tire pressure depends on the size of the cartridge. The smallest one gives 90 PSI maximum. The largest like 18 or 25g inflate the tires with 120 PSI and even more. Cartridges are threaded and non-threaded. The difference is the price. If you want to save money – buy non-threaded cartridges. But the threaded ones usually have a little more of gas in them.
- Sleeve to protect best co2 bike pump from the low temperatures and comfort for the process of inflating the tires as your hands do not slip.
How to use CO2 inflator
A small size and easy but smart system of inflation helps to do the job fast, while you are on the road, and go back to riding. If you have read carefully what’ve written above then you remember that the best CO2 bike pump has flow control cap. It helps to inflate the tire in a couple of seconds and the main – does it safely. In case if there is no control cap then you are at risk to spurt out the whole gas from the cartridge and so your tire will still be flat.
As you already have an idea how the CO2 inflators work here is a short guide to remember for a successful result.
- Check if there are no sharp objects left on the tire when it’s flat. Any of them will lead to failure and you will have to start it all over again but there is no guarantee you will have enough of gas in the canister for another try.
- Attach the cartridge to the inflator.
- The valve should be open and clear. You can make sure in that just tapping the threaded chuck. Now attach the nozzle of the inflator to the valve and tighten it.
- Start to tire and keep an eye on the pressure as CO2 inflators work pretty fast.
- When you are satisfied with the pressure to remove the inflator and remount the tire.
- When you back home take time to inflate the tire again. This is necessary thing if you use CO2 inflators as emergent help. Compressed gas in its canister outflows faster than oxygen.
- If you have not used the whole content of the cartridge then keep it for the next inflation or dispose the used one and attach a new cartridge to the inflator.
The reasons to buy the CO2 inflator
Let’s try to understand all the advantages and disadvantages of this tools. We are sure that CO2 inflator is the most comfortable tool among mini bike pumps. It can save your time, though it is more expensive than usual portable bike pump. So will be CO2 inflators the choice of cyclists in 2018?)
- Lightweight and easy to carry with attaching it to the bike.
- Top CO2 inflators work faster than any other type of air pumps.
- As this inflator deliver gas under a high pressure you do not need to take much effort to fill up the tire.
- Price – even the best CO2 inflator costs less than a hand pump.
Stop for a second thinking carefully
- It may be hard to work with CO2 as the newer does not know yet the speed and an amount of delivered gas while tiring. It takes time and practice.
- Since there is no manometer on the inflator you do not know the real pressure calculated in PSI you have already tired. Thus, very often it leads to over-inflation.
- Most cartridges are for single use. First, it costs some money to change it each time when you are in trouble with your bike. Second, you must throw off the metal canister each time after using it.
Top best CO2 inflators
We’ve prepared the best СO2 inflators of 2018-2019 to help you to make up your mind about your perfect inflator. Each of them has its own features, differ in prices but made by the leading companies in the world of bikes and their tools.
is stylish, quick and easy to use, made of CNC machined aluminum alloy and portable. It’s compatible with Presta and Schrader Valves, inflate the tire in a second. You can control the speed of gas while inflating. It uses threaded cartridges of different size, from 12 to 25g, but the foam sleeve is made of 16g cartridge only.
Buy: light, attachable to saddle bag; 16g cartridge gives 95 PSI; easy to use.
Pass by: many owners complain the pin inside breaks after the first use.
Price – 19.98$.with cartridge storage is made for road and mountain bikes, easy to use for both valves, Presta and Schrader. You can use only threaded cartridges of 12 and 16g with maximum PSI – 100. When you buy this inflator you get a spare rubber O-ring but no cartridges. You will have to order them separately.
Buy: 16g canister is perfect for using on a trail, a gas flow helps to regulate the pressure and no need additional help.
Pass by: most owners reproaches with a low pressure and difficulty to screw the cartridge to the head unit without tools.
Price – 24,98$is made for any kind of cartridges. Its body is all of the aluminum and stainless steel. A great bonus is that it includes a 16g canister. Trigger in the name of the inflator means that it makes perfectly different operations with valve, guarantee easy and fast inflation.
Buy: this is a functional little thing that is perfect for the emergent situation.
Pass by: there is one big disadvantage accepted by many users – the absence of foam sleeve makes it frozen immediately.
Price – 19,98$has a great design, perfect for Presta and Schrader valves, includes a sleeve, ball needle, and 6 tire repair patches. You can easily inflate your tire up to 90 PSI in a couple of seconds. The manufacturer gives a lifetime warranty.
Buy: it’s one of the smallest and well-designed inflators ever, has a toolset necessary for any kind of emergency on the road.
Pass by: owners rarely complain about this inflator, emphasizing only one issue – soft metal of the body despite it’s aluminum.
Price – 13,99$costs a little more than others but the price is fair. For this money, you get a stylish, durable and lightweight inflator. The material is polyurethane with three 16g cartridges included. It goes with Schrader and Presta Valves perfectly.
Buy: If you get this inflator you will not have to spend money on cartridges immediately.
Pass by: it works only with 16g canisters which may be a problem if the only cartridge you can get in the next door store is different.
Price – 29,99$is a must for those who appreciate stylish and unusual design as this inflator is something special. Buying it you will get a 16g cartridge and a leather sleeve made with natural oils and wax. Also, It has a lifetime warranty thanks to its alloy construction which is Indestructible.
Buy: this inflator has no trace of plastic, allow you to regulate the airflow and really works for years
Pass by: Pay attention that some complaints are about leaking out the air too fast.
Price – 28,34$